Tuesday, April 04, 2006

The Joys of Communication

For months now, I have seen my relationship with my fiancée from virtually one major perspective… a phone attached to my ear. It is interesting the things that you learn about others when communication is all that you have for the majority of the time. I have always tried to be a very intentional person, one who invests in others and takes the time to get to know others, but we are on a whole other playing field when you think about spending thousands of hours on the phone with the same person. What do you talk about after that much time? I love conversations every day with my bride to be, but I am afraid that I do not do a good enough job of being creative in our conversations.

I am pretty sure that Leslie and I are going to have a great deal of culture shock when she and I get to be in the same town with one another for longer than a week at a time, and I can’t wait to be shocked. So many people have told me that it is going to be hard to change my ways, after all I have lived out on my own for 11 years now, and by myself for the past 4. I think that I am going to have an interesting time at first shaping and molding my life to accommodate someone living life with me. I am so excited about the challenges that it is going to provide, but scared to death about my short comings as well. Just today, I was talking to a dear friend about what the Lord is going to do in my life through marriage, and he told me that I will never know sanctification the same way as I will as a husband and father. I am so excited about that, but the pressure of giving a %110 all the time, is so intimidating. I hope and pray that that my selfishness and dependency on myself will become more fluid and that as a couple, we will find flexibility and compassion for those things that we bring into the marriage.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>