Monday, March 06, 2006

You learn something new everyday

When I met Leslie, I found out that she graduated from the University of North Carolina and that she was proud of that. So proud, in fact, that the first time that I went to visit Leslie, the UNC campus was one of the first places that we visited. I have come to like the university myself because it was on a park bench on the UNC campus that I realized that I wanted to marry Leslie. As you can imagine, when a profound realization like that comes you find yourself drawn to such an institution. I don’t plan on getting any Tar Heel memorabilia just yet, but I do have a place in my heart for UNC now.

On Saturday night, however, I found out a few things about my soon-to-be wife that brought her and the Tar Heels closer to my heart. Saturday night, for those of you who live under a rock, was the UNC vs. Duke game! There is no other collegiate rivalry that caries such passion and hatred. The Heels brought home a very crucial win on Saturday night shutting up the mouths of those who have doubted them all season long. The suggestions that a young UNC team that lost their seven top shooters last year to the pro’s and that they would not do well this year, were thrown out the window on Saturday night.

Leslie and I watched the game together from across the country and we found out a few things about each other that we had yet to see. I, Jason, am a stickler for good officiating. My dad was an official for years in college and post college, and he taught me from a very young age the difference between a walk and a carry, lane violations and charges. I was taught all the sports lingo and signs, but basketball was always dad’s favorite and for me. Good officiating is critical to my enjoyment of the game. Leslie, on the other hand, is dictated by passion when watching a sporting event. She takes into account her hatred for the Dookies, the “Cameron Crazies”, and Coach “K”. She defends her beloved coach Roy Williams and has had enough experience and passion for her Heels to know that it’s weird for him to take off his jacket in the first half! It was an evening of madness and mayhem as we listened to each other yell at the TV and I listened to her tell me traditions and normalities for her school.

I have been brought into the fold, somewhat, as I try to learn such things as the fight song…

I'm a Tar Heel Born

I'm a Tar Heel born
I'm a Tar Heel bred
And when I die
I'm a Tar Heel dead.
So it's Rah, Rah, Car'lina-lina
Rah, Rah, Car'lina-lina
Rah, Rah, Car'lina-lina
Go to hell Duke!

I can only say that it’s a good thing that I like the color Carolina Blue because apparently I will be seeing it and wearing it until “I’m dead”.

It’s amazing to me how the simple things, such as college sports, can bring people together. I am grateful to be marrying a “Heel”! I’m just glad she’s not a Dookie.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>