Monday, March 20, 2006

A Birthday to Remember

Time flies when you are having fun! I have always heard that from others and wondered what truth was behind it, but until last week, I didn’t fully grasp the truth behind it. I had the chance to go out to N.C. for a few days to spend time with my fiancée, attend our first engagement party and take care of some wedding plans. During my time in N.C., I celebrated my 29th birthday and was treated to an amazing and fun filled day with my future bride. Leslie came over to the house where I was staying around 10:00 a.m. to fix me waffles. We then took off for a day of greatness! Years ago, I started a tradition that I have attempted to uphold every year by treating myself to a round of golf. Seeing as how I did not want to spend half the day without the person that I came to visit, nor did I want to travel with my clubs, I opted for a round of putt–putt. Leslie was great! We played 36 holes and I was so proud of her for the way that she enjoyed the day with me. I was very impressed with her skills as well. We really had a good time!

After a rousing game of putt–putt, I asked Leslie if she would mind if I hit a little bit in the batting cages. It had been years since I swung a baseball bat, but I still had a great time doing so for old times sake. Lunch soon followed where she and I got the chance to sit in a restaurant that was showing the NCAA tournament games. I have to tell you, it is so amazing to be marrying a woman that is more passionate about her college basketball than most of men that I know. And she really has a passion, let me tell you. It’s so fun to sit and enjoy a game with her, especially when her precious Tar Heels are playing.


The game room was calling our name after lunch so we headed out to see what kind of fun we could get into. It was amazing to me that Leslie was so into the joy of the day. I have never been much of a “gamer”, mostly because as kids we were not allowed to play many games. If we wanted to play arcade games, we had to plan ahead and earn money doing chores around the house. By that time, I didn’t want to spend money on things that were only going to last for a few minutes. So when Leslie challenged me to some games, I felt as thought I was getting a little bit of my childhood back. She kicked my butt at Skeeball, but that’s ok with me. She’s got great form!


We had an amazing afternoon and evening! We enjoyed a few crossword puzzles, fixed a late dinner, and watched some CSI (my favorite show). It was a great birthday! It’s an amazing thing to find the person that you were meant for. Someone that is so comfortable to be around, someone who makes you laugh when you want to punch someone, that person that eases your mind when you are frustrated, the one that gives you grace when you don’t deserve it. I am so grateful that the Lord gives us the opportunity to experience parts of his love and adoration through loved ones. I have loved the past year of my life and look forward to the next. May the Lord bless you and keep you and give you days such as this!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>