Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Patience... I guess it is a Virtue

Our meeting at Windy Gap was picturesque and fun and I knew that it was the beginning of something great. But, I also thought that this amazing woman would never be interested in me. However, over the next few months, between June and November, Leslie and I spent time writing letters and beginning a friendship slowly, even taking a break from each other in the month of September to clarify some outside relationships. Our slow, yet intentional, relationship was full of “bouquets of newly sharpened pencils” (You’ve Got Mail). We had the chance to talk about our common interest and think outside the box of continental relationships because all we had was communication, and what a gift that was and still is. To sit on the phone and talk about all that life has to offer. To keep alive hand written letters, even when the post office loses them. We found out that when you take away the movie nights, and the T.V. watching dinners, and the rushing around to get things accomplished for the day, you would be surprised as to what you really get to hear from those around you.

Jumping forward, yet backwards from now, Leslie and I spent the month of November diving into the meat of a friendship. We began to talk more in-depth and see that there was so much about each other than just a few commonalities. When I think back on those days, I remember the way that we spoke to each other, still not knowing each other that well, and yet, it was as if I had known her all my life. She is the type of woman that makes me “sit up and howl at the moon”, and that’s a great thing! I had asked God years ago to point me in the right direction to help me find the one that he had planned for me but I never knew that He would provide such a gift as He has. I didn’t know if He would grant me this desire, after all, Paul talks about how it is wise to stay single. But I knew that my heart longed for something more, and so much more was shown to me.

I remember in the six years that I wasn’t in a relationship prior to Leslie, being much like Moses in the desert. I would take a step, and then look back to God hoping that the next step would lead me to the earthly love of my life. I remember thinking, “this way God?”, and take a step towards someone new, then look back and say “this way?” Each attempt at friendship ending with thoughts that I would forever be alone. With Leslie, I never thought those thoughts. I was so grateful for every moment that I had with her that it didn’t matter if we were designed for each other. I was simply grateful for the chance to be with this amazing daughter of Christ.
I guess that it is a true testament that patience is a virtue and it does pay off. Being patient and waiting for the right woman to come into my life has been a true testament that God is very good! Just look at Leslie and I and you might just see how very good that He is and we can’t wait to see what He has in store for us next.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>